The first musicians at Heinfels Castle?

During the restoration work, a special red chalk drawing from the early 16th century was uncovered. But this is not the only discovery!

The first musicians at Heinfels Castle?

The scientist Dr. Martin Mittermair dates the figures - two music-making figures with bagpipes and shawms with fool's caps - from the time around 1500. So even then the castle was probably in a good mood. The coat of arms of Cardinal Andreas of Austria (1558 - 1600) was also uncovered in the oriel room in the southern wing of the castle. As bishop of Brixen he was at that time also lord of Heinfels and gave also the last large general reorganization in order.


Go back



Heinfels Castle’s main redevelopment should be complete and open once again to the general public within five years. An ambitious goal if you were to take a peek inside the imposing castle, as the last centuries haven’t been kind to the halls and chambers, leaving them to dilapidate.

On 16 November 2015, the concept regarding the future use of Heinfels Castle was presented to the district councils of the Tyrolean Oberland. If everything goes according o plan, the main redevelopment can take place during summer 2016.

The Südtiroler Burgeninstitut (the South Tyrolean Castle Institute) invited Management of the Museumsverein and the Steering Group to visit a number of castles in and around South Tyrol on 14 July 2015.

On 2 June 2015, the members of the ‘New Uses’ and ‘Redevelopment and Maintenance’ groups were met by gorgeous weather as they set out to visit the border fortress of Altfinstermünz in Nauders at the foot of the Finstermünzpass.